Jim’s primary focus is addressing infringement and validity disputes and counseling on patent licensing matters. His experience includes deal negotiations and litigation / dispute resolutions in a variety of commercial settings, and securing IP rights, particularly patents, in the first instance by preparing, filing and prosecuting applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Jim recently organized and co-moderated a judicial panel for an AIPLA symposium, which included the following judicial panelists from the District of Delaware: Judge Robinson, Magistrate Judge Burke and Magistrate Judge Fallon. Among other professional accomplishments, Jim was recently able to:
• Win a patent jury verdict of patent infringement and no invalidity, leading technical
examinations and all briefing, in the Middle District of Florida;
• Win a Markman (patent claim construction) ruling argued on behalf of a joint
defense group in the Eastern District of Texas;
• Win a litigation stay pending patent reexamination argued in the District of
• Win an unconditional stipulation of dismissal of all patent infringement claims against
his client in the District of Delaware (after successfully reexamining the opponent's
• Co-author and edit an American Bar Association textbook on pharmaceutical patent
litigation that was listed as an ABA best-seller; and
• Author multiple articles on patent litigation for IPWatchdog.com
Jim is also actively involved in pro bono matters for the Delaware Office of the Child Advocate.