Blake Cleary is one of the elite of the Delaware bankruptcy bar, and brings to each assignment a level of earned respect among the judges and fellow practitioners from the moment he gets involved. Whether representing debtors or creditors, Blake approaches the Chapter 11 process as a search for the best possible outcome. Favoring honest communication over hardened positioning, Blake sees litigation as a last resort, recognizing that litigation frequently erodes value or unduly damages one of the parties. Accordingly, he looks for the creative solution that moves beyond the simplistic notion that a bankruptcy must produce a binary “yes or no” result, to one that provides real value enhancement.
This creativity is the product, Blake believes, of 20 years in the fast-moving Delaware bankruptcy court, in which an astute lawyer can see more cases in a year than others might in a lifetime. The sheer number of opportunities has allowed him to learn from some of the best lawyers in the country, and the lessons he has absorbed continue to serve him, and his clients, well. His understanding of both the nuances of Delaware law and the likely reactions of Delaware judges makes him highly sought-after. Operating in an atmosphere of great uncertainty, in which multiple parties compete for the limited resources of a distressed entity, Blake remains keenly aware of the goals of all involved. He listens closely to the needs of both his clients and adversaries, constantly looking not just for leverage, but also for ways of using that leverage to bring about an equitable solution for all parties.
- Widener University Delaware Law School (J.D.)
- University of Virginia (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- The Deal, named as a "Top Bankruptcy Lawyer", 2009-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, 2013 - Present
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2014 - Present
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Delaware State Bar Association, Member
- Delaware Bankruptcy American Inn of Court, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, Member