As counsel to parties involved in commercial real estate transactions, Brent Shaffer is known for using his experience of over 30 years to focus on the most essential elements and client goals of each transaction, and for his meticulous drafting of documentation to minimize misunderstandings and avoid litigation for each deal as well. Brent takes a practical approach, based largely on his extensive understanding of the reasoning behind common deal requirements.
As commercial real estate transactions grow increasingly complex — with more mixed-use projects, more investors in the debt stack, and more regulation affecting every aspect — Brent’s clients rely on him for the advocacy and documentation they need to protect their interests.
- Representing institutional and local buyers, sellers, developers, and investors in commercial real estate transactions in Delaware and Maryland
- Representing lenders and borrowers in construction and permanent loans real estate, asset-based, and business loans
- Representing nonprofits and lenders in affordable housing transactions
- Rendering transactional opinion letters with respect to Delaware and Maryland law and entities
- Representing landlords and tenants in commercial leases.
- Representing developers and builders in connection with community and condominium association laws and documentation
- Wake Forest University (M.A., magna cum laude)
- Wake Forest School of Law (J.D.)
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Fellow
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, 2011 - Present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2013 - Present
- Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County, Inc., Lifetime Achievement Award, 2002
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law: Council Member; Co-Chair, Publications Committee; Probate & Propertymagazine Articles Editor, Real Property; Past Chair, Assignment and Subleasing Committee
- Committee of 100, Board of Directors and Chair, Education and Scholarship Committee
- Delaware State Bar Association, Real and Personal Property Section, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Real Property, Planning & Zoning Section, Member
- Commercial-Industrial Realty Council
- Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County, Inc., Board of Advisors and former President
- Wake Forest Law Review, former Executive Editor