James focuses on representing companies and their directors in lawsuits brought by Delaware stockholders, master limited partnership unitholders, and deal partners, as well as valuation disputes in various courts. James brings a common-sense and thoughtful approach to litigation that serves his clients’ long-term interests. He has broad experience in a variety of substantive areas before the Delaware Court of Chancery that he utilizes in achieving optimal results when a client is faced with a need for a counselor, a litigator, or both.
- Corporate, alternative entity, and commercial litigation, primarily in the Delaware Court of Chancery
- M&A and “busted deal” litigation involving master limited partnerships, energy companies, agriculture and food businesses, hospitality businesses, and technology companies
- Statutory appraisal and valuation disputes in the Delaware Court of Chancery and bankruptcy court
- Litigation involving expedited proceedings, including requests for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctive relief
- Experience in a variety of substantive areas, including: Delaware corporate and alternative entity law, control disputes, stockholder activism, derivative litigation, mergers and acquisitions, access to books and records, indemnification and advancement, complex contractual agreements, arbitration agreements, covenants not to compete, and trade secret misappropriation
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America for 2023 and 2024. James is recognized in the practice areas of Commercial Litigation, Chancery, and Alternative Entity.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. James is ranked in the Chancery practice area: "James knows the law and has a good courtroom presence."
- The Best Lawyers in America®, recognized in Chancery.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Saint Joseph's University (B.A., magna cum laude)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Memberships and Affiliations
- Richard S. Rodney American Inn of Court, Barrister
- American Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Honorable Donald F. Parsons, Jr., Vice Chancellor, Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware