Closely-held companies and the people who own and manage them regularly call on Jerry Grossman to help them navigate both their legal and business issues. As such companies must frequently contend with the problematic intermingling of professional and personal concerns, Jerry provides sage counsel on all manner of challenges, with a special emphasis on tax, business, and estate planning.
Jerry’s clients — many of whom have been with him for decades — rely on him for both his technical legal acumen and his personal approach to their business and personal legal matters. He is known for his deft handling of their mergers and acquisitions, partnership and limited liability company formations, shareholder agreements, employment contracts, and the panoply of day-to-day problems that arise in the running of a company.
But they also know him for his sensitivity to family issues. He counsels them on succession planning, pre-marital agreements, generational wealth transfer, and other matters in which the emotional components can be as fraught as the legal. His ability to balance these often deeply personal questions with complex legal issues is a significant factor in accounting for the longevity of their relationship.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- Georgetown University
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Tax Court
- American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Tax Law, 1993 - Present
- Worth Magazine, "Top 100 Attorneys"
- Delaware Super Lawyers®, Tax, Mergers & Acquisitions, Estate Planning & Probate
- Delaware Today Top Lawyers: Business and Commercial and Tax
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association (“ABA”) Sections of Taxation and Real Property, Trusts & Estates
- ABA Section of Taxation Committee on Tax Accounting and Sales, Exchange, and Basis, Member
- ABA Section of Taxation, Tax Accounting Problems Committee, Chair, 1988-1990; Vice-Chair, 1986-1988
- ABA Section of Taxation, Inventory Subcommittee, Chair, 1982-1986
- Delaware State Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Chair 1996-1997; Taxation and Estates and Trusts Sections, Member
- Delaware Society of Certified Public Accountants, President, 2000-2001; Council Member, 1993-2002
- Delaware Society of CPA's Tax Committee, Chairman, 1980-1985
- Georgetown University Law Center, The Tax Lawyer, Former Editor
- Council of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member, 2000-2001
- Delaware Tax Institute, Planning Committee – Chair, 2017 – present; Member, 1986 - present
- Estate Planning Council of Delaware, Member
- Wilmington Tax Group, Member
- Delaware Symphony Association, Chair of the Board of Directors, 2010 - 2012
- Jewish National Fund, Delaware Board of Directors, Chair, 2010 – 2014; Member, 2005 – present
- Congregation Beth Shalom, President and Chairman of Board, 1988 – 1990, Member, Board of Directors, 1984 – present
- Jewish Community Center of Delaware, Past Vice President, Treasurer, and Board Member
- Jewish Federation of Delaware, Inc., Audit Committee, 2013 – present; Past Member of Board of Directors
- Milton & Hattie Kutz Foundation, Secretary and Member of Board of Trustees, 2007 - present
- Harry Cohen Foundation, Member, Board of Trustees (2005 - present)