Pilar’s approach to client representation can be summed up in one word—team. Pilar views herself as a member of your team at every level and is committed to work hard to understand your unique needs and goals. She will then apply her deep knowledge of Delaware practice and procedure, as well as civil procedure and substantive law, to make sure those needs and goals are met. An adept lawyer both in and out of the courtroom, Pilar is a straight shooter whose strongest skill is her ability to communicate with every member of the team to make sure you always understand the process, risks, and the inclinations of the Delaware judges before whom your case will be heard. Importantly, Pilar has established a proven ability to communicate effectively on your behalf whether to a judge, jury, or opposing counsel.
Pilar focuses her practice on patent infringement, trade secret, and complex commercial litigation matters in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware and Delaware’s state courts. She has handled a wide range of intellectual property disputes as both lead and Delaware counsel, including representations involving pharmaceuticals, medical devices, computer software, Internet technology, data cables and connectors, and consumer electronics and display devices. Pilar also litigates complex commercial cases, such as breach of contract, securities and fraud.
On a pro bono basis, Pilar represents clients seeking asylum in the United States and successfully represented a prisoner in a civil rights action, securing a favorable settlement for the plaintiff and resulting in a consent agreement in which the Department of Correction agreed to comprehensive changes to the prison system in the State of Delaware. Pilar (and her dog, Alice) are also proud volunteers with Paws for People, a non-profit organization that provides elders, children and people with disabilities individualized, therapeutic visits with pets.
Pilar is Co-Chair of Young Conaway's Diversity Committee and a member of the Training and Wellness Committees.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D.)
- Eastern Kentucky University (M.P.A.)
- Janet Patton Award for the Outstanding MPA graduate
- University of Kentucky (B.A.S.W., magna cum laude)
- Social Work, Departmental Honors
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), 2022
- Ranked in Chambers USA - Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked on the IAM Patent 1000
- Ranked by Managing IP as a Patent Star
- Member, United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Lawyer Advisory Committee
- Alumnus, District of Delaware’s Federal Trial Practice Seminar, 2013
- ACLU of Delaware Clarence Darrow Award for Cooperating Attorney of the Year, 2012
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Member, Section of Litigation Mental Health and Wellness Task Force
- Member, Section of Litigation Federal Practice Task Force
- Co-Chair, ABA Section of Litigation Woman Advocate Committee, 2019-2022
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Lawyer Advisory Committee, United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- Member, by court appointment (July 2022 - present)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Delaware Hispanic Bar Association
- Board member, Leading Youth Through Empowerment ("LYTE")
- Mission: LYTE believes academic success is foundational to lifelong success. LYTE strives to change the academic trajectory of under-represented youth by preparing middle school students to attend rigorous high school programs and then colleges, through personal mentoring, rigorous teaching, and leadership.
- Volunteer, PAWS for People
- Mission: PAWS for People is a nonprofit organization committed to improving the lives of people in our community by lovingly providing individualized, therapeutic visits with our specially trained volunteers and their certified gentle, affectionate pets.