The fast pace of chapter 11 proceedings in the Delaware court system sees Ryan Bartley in his element. The inexorable dissipation of a distressed company’s assets — the “melting ice cube” — puts pressure on all parties to come to the best possible deal in the soonest possible time, a setting in which Ryan frequently thrives.
Having negotiated a wide range of restructurings in a number of ailing industries, Ryan understands that much company distress derives from industry distress, and he delves deeply into the workings of both micro and macro issues to prepare a case. This gives him valuable insight into the valuation of assets, the viability of business models, and the agendas of the various creditor constituencies. These insights lay the groundwork for negotiation, from which he and his team regularly arrive at a plan that gets the company right-sized, for a fast exit from bankruptcy.
- Representation of clients in all aspects of both in-court and out-of-court restructurings. Clients include debtors, lenders, sponsors, asset purchasers, foreign representatives in chapter 15 proceedings, and fiduciaries of distressed companies.
- Engagement in matters across numerous industries, including the energy, financial services, healthcare, investment management, manufacturing, mortgage lending, privacy and security, publishing, real estate, retail and food services, technology, and telecommunications industries.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.S.B.A.)
- Emory University School of Law (J.D.)
- with Honors
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2014- Present