The fast pace of in-court and out-of-court restructurings sees Ryan Bartley in his element. Ryan is able to quickly understand and assess the internal and external factors creating financial and operating stress on, and constituency conflicts within, companies – be it his clients, the companies his clients oversee, or the companies his clients invest in or transact with – and help his clients reach the best possible outcome. Ryan is equally at home negotiating a company-saving transaction, finding and solving what is causing a company’s distress, and determining who should properly be held accountable when companies fail. In doing so, Ryan leverages his command of: federal bankruptcy law; non-bankruptcy laws governing debtor-creditor relations; and the laws governing various types of Delaware entities and the management of their affairs.
Having negotiated a wide range of restructurings in a number of industries, Ryan understands that company distress can be the result of any number of factors, and he delves deeply into the micro and macro issues affecting his clients. This gives him valuable insight into the valuation of assets, the viability of business models, the agendas of the various creditor constituencies, and the strengths and weaknesses of the legal and factual positions taken by parties in restructuring negotiations. These insights lay the groundwork for negotiation, from which he and his team regularly arrive at a strategy that gets companies right-sized, for a fast exit from bankruptcy.
- Representation of clients in all aspects of both in-court and out-of-court restructurings. Clients include debtors, lenders, sponsors, asset purchasers, foreign representatives in chapter 15 proceedings, and fiduciaries of distressed companies.
- Engagement in matters across numerous industries, including the energy, financial services, healthcare, investment management, manufacturing, mortgage lending, privacy and security, publishing, real estate, retail and food services, technology, and telecommunications industries.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.S.B.A.)
- Emory University School of Law (J.D.)
- with Honors
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2014- Present