Bill serves as chair of the firm’s complex and specialty litigation practice and has broad trial experience, having represented clients in all of the Delaware state and federal courts and also before state agencies including the Industrial Accident Board and Environmental Appeals Board. Bill has been particularly active representing clients in matters proceeding before the Complex Commercial Litigation Division (CCLD) for the Superior Court, which is a specialty and expedited case track for commercial claims with an amount in controversy of $1 million or more, and in Delaware’s renowned Court of Chancery.
Bill has served as trial counsel in a number of sophisticated commercial cases, including securing one of the largest condemnation trial verdicts in the State of Delaware and recently with a team that secured a defense verdict in an ownership and management dispute involving a South American media conglomerate for which his clients recovered their attorneys’ fees and costs. Bill has developed a particular expertise in representing foreign owners of Delaware companies and understands well the challenges and nuances of the same.
Bill’s courtroom experience is broad and diverse and he has litigated matters involving, among others: corporate ownership and control disputes; contract disputes; government affairs; mass torts (in which he has represented companies in the energy, industrial manufacturing and pharmaceutical industries); and, real estate, including matters involving financing, construction defects, home owners associations, title claims, deed and use restrictions, land use appeals, engineering errors, eminent domain, foreclosures and leases.
Governor’s appointee on the Council for the Delaware Association of Professional Engineers
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Maryland Law Review, editor
- University of Delaware (B.S., summa cum laude)
- with Honors
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP - William F. Taylor Pro Bono Award
- Selected by peer attorneys as a “Top Lawyer” in Delaware Today Magazine (2018 - Present)
- Recognized in 2024 Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Memberships and Affiliations
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court, Barrister
- Delaware Contractors Association, Member of the Executive and Government Affairs Committees
- University of Delaware, Lerner College of Business Alumni Board
- The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program of the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- University of Delaware, guest lecturer
- "Commercial Evictions From Start to Finish," Presentation, August 2011