Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I), will lead the development and execution of the firm’s diversity strategy as well as pro bono and community outreach initiatives to continue to build and support a more inclusive culture and embrace a widely diverse workforce. The position will have firm-wide responsibility and authority to promote the awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion issues both internally and externally, for both staff and attorneys. The position will collaborate closely with firm leadership, personnel, directors responsible for recruiting and retention, training and development, practice development, and the Diversity, Hiring and Associate Committees.
- Lead the firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion as well as pro bono and community outreach efforts for attorneys and staff including implementation of strategy, best practices, programs, initiatives, culture, and training.
- Review, assess, and share market trends, competitive intelligence, benchmarking data, and innovations related to diversity and inclusion for possible application at the firm.
- Coordinate development and integration of the firm’s diversity goals throughout the firm’s on-going business strategy, recruiting, retention, and development efforts.
- Serve as an advisor to senior firm management in the area of diversity and inclusion and periodically report to the Management Committee.
- Collaborate with Human Resources, Associate Recruiting & Development, and the Hiring Committee on strategies to attract, retain and promote diverse talent, identify and provide effective professional development opportunities, and create diverse pipelines of leadership at all levels.
- Engage with and support the professional development and effective inclusion of diverse professionals throughout the firm.
- Audit and modify firm policies and procedures to ensure inclusion and effectiveness for attorneys and staff. Including but not limited to onboarding, rewards and recognition, performance management and promotional processes.
- Work with Human Resources department to monitor metrics and develop dashboards and critical analytics. Coordinate the collection, analysis, and preparation of diversity-related metrics and statistical information for firmwide reports, RFPs, surveys, committee meetings, and other requests, as needed, liaising with other departments on necessary data and historical materials.
- Lead the development of annual budgets for the Diversity Committee and DE&I initiatives; track and maintain accurate accounts of all expenses and balances to support adherence to the budget.
- Work with the Diversity Committee to create alignment, track progress and effectiveness of the efforts.
- Ensure DE&I branding, messaging and education enhances the firm’s culture and aligns with our mission to provide an inclusive environment.
- Update and maintain the firm’s internal DE&I portal pages and diversity and inclusion related content on the external website. Develop blogs, articles and other social media materials to create the voice of our firm regarding diversity and inclusion.
- Build and manage partnerships with external organizations, universities and law schools to develop diverse talent acquisition and business partner/vendor pipelines.
- Attend meetings as requested to provide information and serve as a point of contact/resource for diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Develop and implement strategies to partner with key clients on D&EI-related initiatives, including premier speaker events, pro bono partnerships, pipeline initiatives, roundtables, and other such programs and initiatives.
- Attend and speak at DE&I conferences and on DE&I panels, and facilitate relationships between individuals at the firm and leading DE&I organizations.
- Represent the firm at various DE&I and community-related functions. Coordinate attendance of Young Conaway attorneys and staff at same. Work with the Pro Bono Committee to coordinate and refine the firm’s pro bono efforts with the firm’s strategic goals. This includes developing opportunities for pro bono work that complements client goals, attorney development, community needs, attorney interests, and community service activities.
- Meet with attorneys to increase their pro bono activity, and find pro bono opportunities that match with attorneys’ skills development and business development goals.
- Coordinate pro bono training events that occur at the firm.
- Assist attorneys with opening new pro bono matters. Review all pro bono matters as they are opened, and ensure they comply with the firm’s pro bono policies.
- Manage the Pro Bono Committee’s budget, which includes the Firm’s giving to legal aid providers.
- Serve as a liaison to legal service providers, courts, bar associations, and related community organizations.
- When possible, attend fundraising and other events for legal service providers.
- Coordinate community outreach events and activities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management, organizational development or related field with previous experience.
- Previous legal experience and a JD is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience planning, designing and delivering programs and practices related to diversity and inclusion issues in a complex, consensus-driven environment.
- Ability to counsel attorneys, staff, and management, demonstrating confidentiality, tact, and resourcefulness.
- Demonstrated knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practices in law firm and other professional services environments.
- A strong presence that instills confidence and understanding of key issues in the diversity and inclusion legal community.
- The interpersonal skills to build lasting relationships and drive consensus; evidenced ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, attorneys, office, firm and practice management, clients and prospective clients.
- Proven record implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives through to execution.
- Demonstrated skills in interacting with clients and coordinating on diversity initiatives with clients.
- Outstanding creative thinking skills and the ability to offer new ideas and approaches to diversity and inclusion applicable to new environments.
- Strong track record of leading and developing effective and diverse teams, collaborating across departments to drive change.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with varied audiences in writing, verbally and through presentations.
- Superb organizational and project management skills, coupled with a strong attention to detail and commitment to responsiveness.
- Ability to work independently and with a team, and to delegate and manage resources effectively.
- Commitment to the office and firm, and to professional growth and development.
- Ability and availability to travel in order to effectively implement the agreed upon strategy and the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
To apply for the position, please submit your resume and cover letter with your salary expectations to [email protected].
Intellectual Property Associates
Young Conaway is seeking attorneys to join its expanding intellectual property litigation practice area.
Associates will work closely with firm attorneys, co-counsel, and national and regional clients to handle complex intellectual property disputes in Delaware’s federal and state courts. Applicants should have impressive academic credentials and a demonstrated interest in intellectual property litigation. Delaware bar admission is preferred, but candidates willing to take the Delaware Bar Exam will also be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter, resume, law school and undergraduate transcripts, and writing sample to Stacey Funk, Legal Recruiting Coordinator, at [email protected].View Less