Rob Vrana practices in the firm’s Intellectual Property and Litigation and Trial Practice groups. Rob’s lifelong interest in creative endeavors led to his interest in both courtroom practice and a focus on intellectual property considerations affecting creators, inventors, and businesses. Rob’s ability to “see both sides” helps him understand his clients’ goals, more effectively advocate against barriers to those goals, and work with the particular approaches and inclinations of judges who hear those cases. Rob assists clients with their intellectual property concerns ranging from litigating patent infringement disputes to counseling on protections for copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. Rob also has varied experience with other types of commercial disputes, including litigating in various state and federal trial courts and managing complex electronic discovery.
Rob regularly serves as lead or Delaware counsel in patent and trademark cases in the District of Delaware and has experience in a wide variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, software, networking, and blockchain technology. Rob is also experienced in handling trade secret matters, copyright matters, contract disputes, and other complex commercial matters in Delaware’s federal and state courts. Clients also rely on Rob’s experience advising on the protection of copyrights, trademarks, domain names, and trade secrets, as well as transactions involving such intellectual property, including licensing, bankruptcy, and trademark prosecution and clearance. And as a Delaware native, Rob also has a particular knack for Delaware juries.
Rob has an active pro bono practice, including representing children in Delaware Family Court as an attorney guardian ad litem, representing parents in Delaware Family Court guardianship proceedings, representing a criminal defendant charged with drug dealing and gang participation in Delaware Superior Court, and representing a pretrial detainee held in state prison in a civil rights case through the District of Delaware’s Federal Civil Panel. Rob is also an Associate Member of the Board of Bar Examiners of the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Washington & Lee Law Review, Symposium Editor
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Alumnus, District of Delaware’s Federal Trial Practice Seminar, 2019
- 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, Litigation Intellectual Property
- Recognized in IP Stars - Rising Stars, Managing Intellectual Property 2018/2019 edition
- William F. Taylor Award for exemplary pro bono legal service
- Washington & Lee University Burks Scholar
- LTC4 eDiscovery/eDisclosure Core Competency
Memberships and Affiliations
- Delaware Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Member
- Delaware State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honors Fraternity