His prominence in the field has been recognized repeatedly. Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business has ranked him first in its ratings of Delaware Employment Lawyers representing Management. He was selected by Who's Who Legal "as being among the world's pre-eminent Management Labour & Employment lawyers." He has also been listed in The Best Lawyers In America® for over thirty years and has been recognized by Delaware Super Lawyers®.
At the 2004 American Bar Association Convention, Sheldon became the first Delaware lawyer inducted as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Election as a Fellow is described as "the highest recognition by one's colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence." He has served on the College's Third Circuit Credentials Committee.
Sheldon retired as an equity partner effective January 1, 2012 and is “Of Counsel” to the Firm. In addition to performing significant amounts of pro bono work, he conducts an active mediation and arbitration practice in the area of labor and employment law, and has testified as an expert witness on Delaware law. See Lambert v. Ultramar ltee, 2013 QCCS 388 (Feb. 24, 2013).
In April 2016, Delaware Governor Jack Markell nominated Sheldon to be a member of the five-person Merit Employee Relations Board, the final step in the administrative grievance process for State Merit System employees. Sheldon was approved unanimously by the Delaware Senate, and serves on the MERB currently.
- University of Michigan (B.A.)
- Temple University Beasley School of Law (LL.M.)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (L.L.B.)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment, 2006-2012
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Labor and Employment Law, 1983 - Present
- Delaware Super Lawyers®, Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense, 2007-2011
- Martindale Hubbell 2019 AV Preeminent
- Who's Who Legal, Management Labour & Employment, 2007-2018
- "The Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in America" by Human Resource Executive magazine and Lawdragon, 2010
Memberships and Affiliations
- Third Circuit Lawyers Advisory Committee, Past Chair and Member
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Delaware State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section, Founder and First Chairman
- Delaware United States District Court and Court of Chancery Rules Committees, Past Member
- Labor and Employment Relations Association, Philadelphia Chapter, Member
- Delaware Chapter, Federal Bar Association, Member and Past President