As the rules governing employee benefit plans grow increasingly complex, fiduciaries in companies of all sizes rely on Tim Snyder to keep them in compliance. A self-described “technician,” Tim is deeply familiar with the arcana of the various benefits codes — ERISA, DOL, PBGC — and he is regularly called upon to repair out-of-compliance plans to the satisfaction of the IRS. He understands how easily plans can slip out of compliance — often unwittingly — and he works closely with clients to address the concerns of their auditors and, where possible, help them self-correct.
Many of Tim’s clients are multi-employer (Taft-Hartley) plans, which adds another level of complexity to his technical skills — especially in the handling of withdrawal liability issues. He also works with the firm’s bankruptcy group in chapter 7 proceedings, closing down the benefit plans of companies in liquidation. Tim also advises governmental entities on the administration of their benefits plans, which are not Covered by ERISA.
- Employee benefits practice, involving both the benefit provisions of the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA.
- Representation of businesses and professionals in establishing, monitoring, and administering private and public employee benefit plans, whether single employer or multi-employer, including:
- Defined benefit plans
- 401(k) profit sharing plans
- Section 403(b) and Section 457 plans
- New comparability retirement plans
- Non-qualified deferred compensation, health, disability and life benefits
- COBRA, HIPAA, ADA and ADEA.
- Termination and wrapping up of benefit plans, and dealing with the IRS, DOL, and PBGC.
- Advising tax exempt organizations: establishing them and ensuring their compliance with Section 501(c).
- Widener University Delaware Law School (J.D., summa cum laude)
- Widener University (B.S.B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Employee Benefits Law, 2005 - Present
- Delaware Super Lawyers®, Employee Benefits/ERISA, 2009
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Tax, Employment Law and Probate and Real Property Sections, Member
- Delaware State Bar Association, Tax and Trusts and Estates Sections, Member
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries
- Wilmington Tax Group, Past President
- Widener University School of Law, Dean's National Advisory Council
- Widener University School of Law, Law Firm Alumni Liaison
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Member