Mike is Vice-Chairman of the Firm, a member of the Firm’s Management Committee, co-head of the Firm’s Portfolio Company Management Group, and head of the Firm’s New York Office. As either lead or co-counsel, Mike has successfully guided more than 80 distressed companies through out-of-court or chapter 11 proceedings. With more than two decades of restructuring leading company-side representations, Mike has kept his finger on the pulse of the restructuring practice. Mike regularly conducts “road show” presentations for interested law firms, private equity funds, and financial advisory firms that feature in-depth analyses regarding emerging issues in the restructuring and corporate governance expertise, with a primary focus on companies in distress.
Mike has developed a niche advising private equity funds and portfolio companies regarding the management, acquisitions/divestitures and governance, and has represented portfolio companies and PE fund/parent companies in more than 30 transactions/cases. He is co-chair of the Firm's Portfolio Company Specialty Group.
Since 2006, clients and colleagues interviewed by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business have ranked Mike as a leading Bankruptcy/Restructuring attorney, noting that he is a "terrific strategist," a "bright lawyer and an excellent negotiator," possessing “incredible business sense,” and a leader with "integrity, good people skills, and utilizing a common sense approach.” In addition, Mike has been consistently recognized by The Best Lawyers in America ®, The Deal ®, Delaware Super Lawyers ®, Corporate Counsel ® and Who’s Who Legal (Insolvency & Restructuring) as one of the top bankruptcy lawyers in Delaware and the country.
Restructuring of companies ranging in size from large publicly-held companies to small privately-held companies.
Representation of private equity funds, plan sponsors, lenders and all other significant parties involved in the restructuring process.
Advising private equity funds regarding the management, acquisitions/divestitures and governance of their distressed portfolio companies.
Combining corporate governance advice with significant debtor-side experience to provide funds, investors and friends with state of the law guidance on portfolio company management in an manner that maximizes value, limits liability and enhances certainty.
- Widener University Delaware Law School (J.D.)
- University of Maryland (B.A.)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2006 - Present
- The Best Lawyers in America ®, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Law, 2008 - Present
- The Deal ®, Leading Bankruptcy Tables, 2006 - Present
- Delaware Super Lawyers ®, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2008 - Present
- Who's Who Legal, Insolvency & Restructuring, 2014 - 2016
- 2015 Law360 Bankruptcy Advisor Editorial Board
- Turnaround Management Association, Education Oversight Committee
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute Volo Circuit Court Opinion First Responder, Editorial Board
- American Bar Association, Member
- Delaware State Bar Association, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Philadelphia Chapter, Turnaround Management Association, Former Board Member