Bill Johnston brings more than 40 years of practice experience to serve as an advocate on behalf of clients in corporate and other business counseling and litigation, as a court-appointed neutral (Special Magistrate), and as an expert witness, mediator, and arbitrator.
Bill's record of service and leadership includes President of the Delaware State Bar Association, President of the American Judicature Society, Chair of the ABA Business Law Section, State Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates, and President of the American Counsel Association. Locally, he serves as a pro bono attorney in the Delaware Family Court and with the Veterans Law Clinic of the Delaware State Bar Association. In addition, he is Immediate Past Chair of the City of Wilmington Ethics Commission. He has long-promoted diversity, equity, and inclusion, having co-chaired Young Conaway's Diversity Committee, served as a member of the ABA’s Center for Racial and Ethnic Diversity, and served (for 24 years, by gubernatorial appointment) as a member of the Delaware State Human Relations Commission. He currently is a member of the ABA Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession.
Bill is a recipient of the Delaware State Bar Association's "Daniel L. Herrmann Professional Conduct Award."
- Corporate and other business governance counseling, with an emphasis on advancement and indemnification under Delaware law and on representation of special committees and special litigation committees.
- Corporate and other business litigation, primarily in the Delaware Court of Chancery, the Delaware Superior Court (Complex Commercial Litigation Division), and the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Special Magistrate appointments, primarily in the Delaware Court of Chancery and the Delaware Superior Court.
- Expert witness engagements in non-Delaware courts, with an emphasis on Delaware corporate and “alternative entity” law.
- Mediator and arbitrator engagements, with an emphasis on Delaware corporate and “alternative entity” law and complex commercial litigation (state and federal courts).
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., 1982)
- Member, Law Review (1981-82) Member, Moot Court Board (1981-82) Member, Jessup International Law Moot Court Team (1980-81) (Regional Champions 1980-81; National Division Best Brief Award; Baxter Memorial Award for Best Brief Worldwide)
- Colgate University (A.B., 1979)
- Member, Colgate Thirteen Member, University Chorus Member, Chamber Singers Member, Sigma Chi Fraternity Invited Participant, U.K. Study Group (Stirling, Scotland and Oxford, England)
- Brandywine High School, Wilmington, DE (1975)
- Commencement Speaker, Class President (two terms), Brandywine Award, Chorus, Peer Counseling
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- Supreme Court of the State of Delaware
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, 2007 to present
- Recognized in 2024 Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America